E-Board Meeting Notes

Meeting notes from 34th Democrats Executive Board monthly meetings

March 20, 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

150 150 Carla Rogers

Board Meeting Minutes

Attendees: Gina, Ann, David, Max, Steve, Nick, Les, Sofia, Ben, Dawn, Jordan, Rachel, Jesse, Carla

March 20, 2019

PDF: 03-20-19 Board Meeting Minutes

7:05 Call to Order

7:06 Treasurer’s Report was presented by Ben Reilly. Estimated 150 members ytd. Draft Budget  for 2019 was shared. This was prepared by Dawn Rains and Ben Reilly. Various additions/changes were discussed. KCDCC will not be asking for a donation this year. Should set aside monies for the caucus ($7-10K). Young Dems will also not be asking for a donation. Will need to increase PCO budget to $500. Will also need a budget for the candidate ballot but we will also have income for this which should offset the cost ($2500). A new version of the budget will be posted in Slack for approval.

7:24 Sofia provided a report from the January General Meeting.

  • Diversity/Inclusion, Education and Homelessness were the top issues
  • Top Priorities for the 34th – Homelessness, Climate, Economic Justice
  • A discussion about new volunteers was had. A communication plan was agreed to – Chair’s are required to contact all volunteers.
  • Need a Welcome Guest sign in sheet at the meetings. Jesse will take on converting guests to members.
  • Need to have discussion time at each meeting.

7:47 Dow Constantine visit

  • Introductions
  • King County works in parallel with the 34th. Goal it to create a welcoming community where everyone is free to thrive.
  • Dow spoke about housing insecurity/homelessness, Best Start program, health care, transportation and environmental concerns.
  • A Q&A session resumed.
  • Dow announced he will very likely be a candidate for governor.  

8:35 General Calendar

Gina shared an activities calendar for the year. Carla will post items to the website calendar and begin posting on social media.

8:38 Legislative Action Committee

Jordan shared his vision for the LAC. He also shared his proposal for candidate forums and debates for both D1 and Burien City Council.  His suggestion is to host a forum at our regular meeting and a debate format in a separate meeting/venue approximately 2 weeks later. This will allow for an incremental opportunity to see the candidates discuss the issues. It was decided that we will proceed with the Forum + Debate (2 sessions). April 23 will be the Debate with the Forum held during our April 10 regular meeting at Fauntleroy Hall. Jordan also shared a survey he wanted to send to membership to gain input on the topics to be covered. Due to time constraints, the survey will be shared via Slack for input.  

8:49 April Program

D1 Candidate forum!

8:50 The Communications Committee report was shared by Carla. Facebook engagement, LIKED pages and interaction are all up in the past month. Communications survey will be sent one more time and then closed.

8:52 PCO Committee

Nick explained that the PCO committee met last weekend. Has been contacting past/former PCOs. March 30 PCO meeting, and March 31 in Burien. Continued engagement for the PCOs. Planning an engagement event for the summer.

8:57 Events/Fundraising Committee

Jacqui, Delancey and Gina are holding Saturday planning meetings at 10am at Cupcake Royale each week. Anyone can join! The Earth Day event and June fundraiser are their focus and plans will be announced asap.

9:03 Outreach Committee

Steve reported that the committee is solidifying calendar of events for the year.

9:07 Adjourn

February 2019 Board Meeting

150 150 Carla Rogers

Board Meeting Minutes

February 20, 2019

Attendees: Gina, Ann, David, Tai, Max, Steve, Karen, Nick, Les, Jacqui, Sofia, Ben, Dawn

7:04 Call to Order and Introductions

7:06 Photoshoot

7:16 General Announcements from the Chair

  • KCDCC Bylaws Meeting is this weekend.
  • Joe McDermott invited us to attend the Alliance for Gun Responsibility Luncheon on April 30 at noon at the Sheraton downtown.
  • Still seeking a membership chair.

7:20 Communications Report

  • Carla presented the committees goals for 2019.
  • Committee plans to survey the membership via google docs to solicit input on the 34th communications (web, newsletter and social)
  • A request was made to have Hotspot at the Hall of Fauntleroy for meetings. Board members with Hotspots will share this information at the next meeting.

7:33 Caucus Committee Report

Ann Martin gave a report for Rachel Glass. There are significant changes being discussed for the upcoming election cycles. The group held a lively discussion.

DNC provided the new rules and they are being reviewed.

At April State Party meeting, Ann and Chris will vote to determine how we will do the next election. Several board members requested the ability to give input on this to our representatives.

Suggestion made by Karen and Gina to have this topic on the March meeting agenda to share status with the membership.

  • Historical Context of the Process
  • Options being considered
  • Ask for input to be submitted during the public comment period in March

8:11 Outreach Committee Update

Karen and Steve shared the Outreach Committee events calendar and invited the board to jointhe Outreach Slack channel. Next Outreach Committee meeting March 21. Adopt-a-Street sign is up and will be shared in communications channels when a picture is available.

8:19 Treasurer’s Report will be posted on Slack as Ben wasn’t able to attend the entire meeting to give a report.

8:20 Glen Morgan lawsuit status – Gina provided updates under closed executive session. (No  minutes.)

8:26 Events Committee Report

Jacqui stated she has not been in touch with Lacey (co-chair) yet. Earth Day is in April and she is beginning to plan an event. Her suggestion was to hold it at the West Seattle Nursery.

Jacqui would like to rename the Garden Party to the annual fundraiser.  The group mentioned that this event must be held before the Primary. Jacqui will move forward with a June date for the fundraiser. She proposed a June date with an indoor location (potentially the Eagles hall on California or the Burien community center.

The annual picnic will be held in August.

8: 34 A spirited discussion of the 34th endorsement calendar was held.

Jordan suggested that we have a Policy Roundtable along with the usual debate format.

The endorsement schedule/plan will be defined by Gina and shared at the next meeting.

The South King County Democrats organization is holding a spaghetti feed on May 18. They have asked us to partner on the event providing auction items (10 items), attendance, and someone to attend planning meetings. Nick Bonazza volunteered to represent us.

8:54 Bylaw changes

David shared that we need to update bylaws to align with the DNC bylaws.

Work was done in the past but never pursued. David will bring recommendations to the April Board Meeting.

8:56 Program for March

The group agreed on the following program items for the March 13th membership meeting.

  • Democracy Vouchers
  • Caucus Decision Updates

9:00 Good of the Order

Dawn suggested that state level budget/new revenue discussions be a topic for a future meeting.

9:06 Adjourn

January 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

150 150 Carla Rogers

Executive Board Meeting

January 16, 2019

Attendees: Carla Rogers, Steve Butts, Max Brown, Jesse Greene, Randy Litzenberger, Jordon Crawley, David Ginsberg, Jacqui Morris, Les Treall, Martha Koester, Sofia Aragon, Nick Bonazza, Marcee Stone-Vekich, Ann Martin, Ted Barker, Chris Porter, Ben Reilly, Rachel Glass, Gina Topp, Betsey Archambault

7:04 Call to Order and Introductions

7:20 Review and Discussion of 34th Committees

The attendees reviewed and discussed the work of the standing committees. Chairs were confirmed/committed. It was agreed that we should update the role of the committee to meet current activities/responsibilities.

Committees discussed included:

    • PCO
      • Chair – Nick with David, Randy and Max on the committee
    • Fundraising  – did not discuss
      • Chair – DeLancey Lane
    • Membership
      • OPEN
    • Outreach
        • First meeting – January 24th at Uptown Espresso (Delridge), 7pm
      • Co-Chairs: Karen Richter and Steve Butts
    • Leadership Development
      • Chair – Les Treall
    • Hospitality
      • Chair – Jesse Greene
    • Legislative Action
      • Chair – Jordan Crawley
    • Caucus & Elections
      • Chair – Rachel Glass
    • Hospitality
      • Chair – Jesse Greene
    • Events
      • Co-Chairs – Lacey Watson and Jacquie Morris (sp?)
  • Diversity & Inclusion
    • Chair: Sofia Aragon

Committees not discussed included:

    • Young Democrats
    • Programs
      • Chair – Gina Topp
    • Communications  
      • Chair – Carla Rogers
    • Bylaws & Rules
      • Chair – David Ginsberg
    • Finance
      • Dawn Rains
  • Data & Technology 
    • OPEN

Important Upcoming Meeting – Feb 9

Machinists Hall – Southpark (9125 15th Pl S, Seattle, WA 98108)
KCDC Bylaws & Rules Committee

8:44 Program for our February General Meeting (February 13th)

    • Gina thought an internally focused meeting would be appropriate.
    • Max suggested a different format for the meeting that allows more discussion in small groups.
    • Ann suggested something connected to the Legislative Session
    • Ann suggested that a program about Election Security might be interesting
    • Municipal election cycle is 2019 – homelessness, housing affordability, equity, public option (Cascade Care)
    • Announcements of candidates.
  • Gina and Sofia will work to get a panel of experts on several timely important topics.

8:58 Housekeeping

2nd Wed – General Meeting

3rd Wed – Board Meetings

Format

    • Committee Reports
  • Program for the following month

Emails for elected/chairs will be handed off or reassigned by David.

May have a call with our attorney.

Bylaws committee made suggestions late last year. We do need to make changes to the Bylaws to be in state compliance.

9:04 Good of the Order

Les suggested that all eBoard members read through the Bylaws and Endorsement Rules.

Chris Porter has filed to be the King Conservation District Supervisor.

Next KCDCC meeting will be held Tuesday, January 22 meeting Renton Carpenters Hall meeting.

9:11 Meeting adjourned

September Executive Board Minutes

150 150 David Ginsberg

34thDistrict Democrats

E-Board Meeting

9/19/18

Puget Ridge Common House

 

Meeting called to order at 7:05 by Chair David Ginsberg

 

Chair’s Report: Returned from State Party Meeting. Found out that there is no mechanism to remove a PCO under the RCW. However, there is no rule about stripping privileges. We can, however, censure him, and we will do so. A desire was expressed to reach out to the victims.

There was an attempt to change the Issue and Constituency caucus —> This is being tabled.

A compromise was reached on the issue of Superdelegates. They will not be allowed to vote on the first ballot at a convention.

It was observed that the GOP got rid of Superdelegates and that is why we have Trump.

 

7:14 Treasurer’s Report — We are in good shape financially through the remainder of the year and the First Quarter of 2019.

Discussion returned to Primary vs. Caucus issue. There has been no decision at the DNC level. It is the way it is in Washington State because of the State Legislature and the Top 2 Primary system.

 

7:17 Outreach Committee — 3 new voter registrations at Fiestas Patrias. Would have liked more.

Adopt A Street will be at 1:00 on Saturday. This should be a good one! We get our sign after it!

B-Town Fiesta will be Sunday from 11-7. And don’t forget! October 8this the cut off for voter registration.

 

7:21 Events Committee — The Holiday Party will be the 2ndWednesday in December.

 

7:22 — State Committee Meeting in Spokane. — Ann was at the Rules Committee meeting the entire time.

A website is in the works to help with Caucuses and Absentee Ballots.

Executive Committee — 2 Bylaws were written – Gender and Diversity.

The Chair does not make the slate. 1/3 of the Executive Committee can call a special election if the chair becomes an impediment to the party.

Faithless Electors — Tabled for later.

Resolutions — Removal of Snake River Dams will be discussed. The removal of the Enlo Dam was agreed upon.

 

8:03 Results from Dues Revision Meeting

The number of different levels of membership are confusing. And, the amount that is called a “sustaining” member is in fact not.  Committee thought that the Living Lightly membership level might be considered demeaning, and the committee is in favor of eliminating it.

Les warned that there would be a huge pushback.

Lengthy Discussion of the membership levels and their relative pros and cons.

Chairs message will be used to advise membership that the issue will be put forth at the next regular membership meeting. Obviously, this will need a vote of the membership. *We will need to ask Gina how much we have to give for campaign contributions.

 

8:44 Re-Organization: RCW states that the Chair will call for a reorganization within 45 days of the election, this does not mean that we have to have the reorganization in that amount of time.

 

8:46 Gina Topp will continue to serve as Treasurer IF David Ginsberg runs for chair. David has agreed to do so if we can recruit a good 1stVice Chair who can serve as backup, as he wants to spend more time with his kids before they graduate in 2020.

January 9thwill be the reorganization meeting. The PCO Committee Chairmanship is open, and this role will be CRITICAL for the next election, as we only have about ½ of our precincts filled.

Recruitment and retainment of members – Maybe an informal meeting once or so a month to ID potential new Board Members and “regular” members. We would like to build the organization to be a big part of the community.

 

9:01 Credentials and Membership — Discussed

 

9:04 October Program — GOTV, Trick or Vote?

November Program — Post Election wrap up/Reorganization

 

9:06 Good of the Order.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

May 2018 Executive Board Meeting Minutes

150 150 David Ginsberg

Meeting called to order at 7:05 by Chair David Ginsberg

Chair’s Report: Bailey Stober registered to run, then withdrew his candidacy.

Treasurer’s Report: Gina gave an update on the Morgan situation.

Budget: No notable expenses. $11,500 in member dues. Trending higher than expected. A separate account will be set up to set aside funds for the caucus. Amended budget MSP. Re:  Morgan – Motion to Dismiss and Declaration of Counsel. MSP.

Committee Reports:

 

Events – Garden Party will be Thursday July 19th. Cost for the facility $100 per hour less discount.

Procurement of Auction items to begin. Theme is TBD.

Outreach – Karen and Steve report that 4 voters were registered at the Cambodian Festival.

1 homeless person was registered, there was a discussion of how that can be handled in the future. Discussion of whether we can/should be collecting voter information.

Adopt-A-Street cleanup is Saturday.

Event season will be gearing up. Steve will post a schedule on Slack.

Finance – Is trying to be consistent with reporting. She is trying to determine revenue figures.

KCDCC – Dustin Lambro is the new ombudsman for Code of Conduct. As of April, they are in the black.

Slate of endorsements passed. Shannon Hadder is the sole candidate endorsed. After the endorsement vote, the co-chairs of the endorsement committee resigned. Gloria Hatcher-Maze and Rick Polinton appointed as the new co-chairs.

Bylaws were amended to allow board to elect an interim Chair to serve through December.

 

Legislative Action – Tim will be focusing more on Seattle issues. Housing, Transit, U-Pass to All UW Employees, eviction reform. And, is resigning, as he is moving out of the district.

Fundraising – Garden party and state convention are the only events on the horizon.

 

8:13 New Business – Chair proposed voting on a slate of candidates to endorse. They are all candidates that we have endorsed before.  MSP.

 

Candidates have been informed on what they need to do to potentially be endorsed.

*Need to fill out the county form. That form requires a candidate to declare that they are a Democrat.

 

8:25 Program – June – Endorsements

July – Possibly endorsements part 2

 

 

Good of the Order:

 

Steven suggests removing the $3 membership. State Party Bylaws (which supersedes ours) prohibit making dues mandatory. Everyone deserves a voice. This would be an issue that would need to go to the membership.

 

Idea of sustaining rate for membership floated. Ad hoc committee should investigate this before November. Committee will include the treasurer, and chairs of the Finance, Bylaws, and fundraising.

 

$34 a month? $13 a month? TBD.

 

West Seattle Transportation Committee meeting.

 

New member Annabelle (did not get last name) running for PCO.

April 2018 Executive Board Meeting Minutes

150 150 David Ginsberg

34th District Democrats

E-Board Meeting

4/18/18

Puget Ridge Common House

Meeting called to order at 7:05 by Chair David Ginsberg

 

Committee Reports:

 

King County — Les reported that there was a resolution to allow the board to elect a new chair

without PCO input, thereby preventing the need for an expensive election for an organization

that is essentially bankrupt. According to their bylaws, a vice chair cannot assume the chair.

Outreach – Karen and Steve report that the Cambodian New Year’s is the 28th.

Green Life Section at Summerfest will cost $175. Waiting for their Board to approve the application.

June will see Burien Pride on the 2nd.

Strawberry Festival, Morgan Junction event and the State Convention are all on the same day. Nick will be working Vashon again this year.

Events – Hoping for a big turnout at the Duwamish Alive Pigeon Point Earth Day Clean Up.

Planning is getting underway for the Garden Party.

 

Finance – Katie met with Gina to discuss how reporting could be simplified and how to limit our financial exposure.

What info do we wish we had?

​​Performance vs. Budget

​​Performance vs. Long Term Goal – 2020 Caucus

​​Relative Reliability of sources of income.

​​Fundraising efficiency

​​Cost per meeting at the Hall

​​Cost per member.

​​How many days (less caucuses expenses) of operating expenses are on hand?

 

 

7:33 Sister District Discussion –

 

​Dow will be getting involved.

​31st, 8th, and 47th are under consideration.

​Decision made on the 47th.

 

 

7:45 KCDCC Dues are $800

 

​​Les made a motion to pay which was seconded and passed.

​​Gina will be instructed to pay.

 

 

8:05 Resolution –

​​

​​Martha Koester has presented a resolution to open VoteBuilder to all Dem candidates.

There is no litmus test in the resolution. Current rules state that the candidate must be endorsed before access is granted. MSP to send back to Martha to reword.

Second resolution presented to urge Gov. Inslee to not send troops to help the Border Patrol. Resolution fails to get the votes to present to the membership.

 

8:20 Program –

​​May – Senate Candidates

​​June – Primary Endorsements

​​July – Primary Endorsements

​​August – Possibly no meeting? If there is one, Michael Taylor-Judd is willing to chair.

 

 

 

8:31 Good of the Order

 

Initiative 1631 dealing with carbon emissions will be on the agenda for the next meeting.

Next E-Board meeting to be at Katie’s house. Address to follow.

8:53 Adjourned.

July E-Board Meeting Minutes

150 150 Nick Bohall

July E-Board Meeting Minutes

34 th District Democrats
E-Board Meeting
7/19/17
Puget Ridge Common House

  • Meeting called to order at 7:06 by Chair David Ginsberg
  • Chair Report
    • Chair provided an update on Glen Morgan filings. Advised that we might be delivered a
      lawsuit in the near future, and that the State Party has strongly advised that the E-Board purchase
      insurance, preferably ASAP. David, Treina, and Gina will be taking training to learn how to defend
      against and prevent future suits. Public Disclosure Laws allow complaints and are retroactive for 5 years.
      These suits are expensive and time consuming, they could possibly bankrupt a smaller LD. Board
      Insurance will help mitigate this risk. In addition, the State Party is forbidden to provide insurance for
      this purpose because they have a different tax I.D than we do. P.D.C. forms should be self-audited and if
      an error is found, we must self-report. The Chair, the Vice Chair and the Treasurer should review the
      PDC’s. Blue Wave will help with compliance review services. Board Insurance will cost about $2500.00
      Directors and Officers would be protected from liability under the insurance. It was mentioned that the
      County used to cover liability, David will check on that.
  • Committee Reports:
    • King County
      • Posted Endorsements. Insurance re: Glen Morgan discussed.
    • Outreach
      • Karen and Steve report that the Burien Parade was GREAT. Thanks to Pramila
        Jayapal and the 33rd ! The 34th was warmly received.
      • Dow, Bob Hasegawa, and John Calkins will be marching with us on Saturday, and Ted will head
        up parade prep efforts that day.
      • Steve expressed some concerns about the White Center Jubilee Sunday, attendance is
        sometimes “sparse” that day.
      • The West Seattle Summerfest was “not great” this year. We did not have a booth.
      • Our Adopt a Street Clean-up event will be Saturday, 8/5 at 10 a.m. We will meet at 16 th and
        Roxbury.
      • Delridge Day is coming up on the 12 th .
      • The White Center Food Bank Picnic and Block Party will be Saturday, August 26 th .
        An email will go out to membership to remind them of parades and events this weekend.
    • Volunteer
      • 72 people in the committee, however, there has not been a lot of response lately.
      • The volunteer page on the website gets the most participation.
      • Logistics for the Resist and Persist Carnival discussed. What program did 3 Dollar Bill Cinema
        use? Drink wristbands and attendant insurance discussed. Liability insurance will cover Dram
        Shop issues. Boars Nest BBQ in Ballard will provide the BBQ. Possibly get South Seattle
        Community College Culinary Program involved next year? LD Picnic date discussed. 9/23.
    • Digital Communications
      • Thanks to Treina for the use of her hotspot. Some of the videos have hundreds of views, and there is some vigorous discussion in the comments. Lynne needs someone to cover the August meeting, as she is unable to attend. She is trying to make our messaging more accessible to the differently abled. Next meeting will be 8/3 at the Burien Library, 7 p.m.
      • Congratulations!
      • E-Board should have posting and Admin privileges across the Social Media platforms. Lynne
        would like further discussion on what our Social Media “voice” should be. Board reminded to
        cross-post on their personal pages. She would like to try to generate a social media schedule.
    • Legislative Action
      • Legislature still in session!
    • Bylaws
      • Discussions are starting now that the endorsement season is winding down
    • Hospitality
      • Kate and Sean had dinner and a discussion with Pat Thompson from the White
        Center Yes Foundation.
    • Membership
      • Joy does not have access to see which members are PCO. Suggestion is made to check the King County website. Les asked how many PCOs there were, David will need to ask Brooks. Ann suggests that in the future, credential reports should be given before any votes are taken.
  • No Unfinished Business.
  • New Business:
    • What about trying to get State AG Bob Ferguson to a future meeting? He could speak about how Washington is Leading the Resistance.
    • August program will include endorsements, in some cases re-endorsements. Hopefully we will get a legislative recap.
    • At the August meeting or possibly in September, David would like each committee to present a short report/update/check-in to the membership. Hopefully, these reports may increase membership involvement, and will let the membership know where help may be needed. Going forward, a couple of committee reports each meeting will get each of them in front of the membership twice a year.
  • Good of the Order:
    • **************** DAVID GETTING MARRIED ON SEPTEMBER 30 th ! **********************
    • The West Seattle Democratic Women will be showing “Chasing Coral” on Thursday at the West Seattle Golf Course.
    • The West Seattle Chamber will be holding a Mayoral Forum in Youngstown tomorrow at 6:15.
    • 60-65 people attended the Light Rail Design meeting that was held at Fauntleroy Hall last
      month.
    • Reminder of the Digital Communications meeting on 8/3.
    • P.D.C. training on 8/12 at 9 a.m…
  • 8:53 Adjourned.

May E-Board Meeting Minutes

150 150 Nick Bohall

May E-Board Meeting Minutes

34th District Democrats

E-Board Meeting

5/17/17

Puget Ridge Common House

  • Meeting called to order at 7:02 by Chair David Ginsberg
  • Chair Report – President Carter showed up and spoke at Dow’s Reelection Kickoff Luncheon!
  • Committee Reports:
    • King County — Les reports that things are not moving as quickly as he would like with the candidate Support Committee, but he is trying to get access to the Coordinated Campaign lists and hopes that will jumpstart things.
    • Outreach – Karen and Steve report that things went rather well at the Cambodian Fest.
      • 8 Voter Registration Forms and 1 New Member!
      • Treina sent in the application for the Adopt A Street program, our section is 16th and Roxbury to a mile north. We have to have 4 organized Clean Ups before we can get a sign promoting our participation.
      • Met with Stacia Jenkins about tabling at the June 3rd, Burien Pride, event.
      • Seattle Indivisible Activist Fair on May 30th.
      • Working to participate in the Burien and Vashon Strawberry Fests.
    • Program – Michael wonders: Are there any volunteers to work on the bylaws?
    • State Committee – Chris reports that work on the Code of Conduct and the Harassment Policy continues. He is still looking for a Fundraising Co-Chair. Discussion of a theme for the Garden Party, no decisions made yet.
    • Nick reports for Digital Communications/Data/Technology/Web Editor – Spokane LOVES our website and would love our help. A way to obfuscate email addresses for PCOs has been found and will be implemented. Trying to get more experience in the database function of WordPress or using Mailchimp to streamline member communications. Possibly the My Campaign side of Votebuilder? Member Stories project restarting in June, awaiting Ann Martin’s return.
    • Membership – Joy is delighted to report that we have 515 members, the most ever!
  • No Unfinished Business.
  • New Business:
    • Mayoral Candidate Debate/Forum at the June meeting. Who to Invite? Possibly 1st round is each Candidate gets 60 seconds to introduce themselves to the membership, and then are asked a few Yes/No questions. Membership then votes as to who moves on to 2nd round.  Decided that our endorsement will be voted and given at the June meeting. It is decided that every candidate will be invited and we will use the Showdown protocol. As before, ONLY declared Democrats will be eligible to receive the 34th’s endorsement.
    • David received an email from Proposition 1, the 1% For the Arts/Access for All. Asks if we should include this in the program. (David, I must have missed the answer to this. Can you provide?)
    • Ted advises that sauces and desserts are needed for the Spaghetti Dinner. We have 3 sauces and need 3 more.  You can NEVER have too many desserts.  Participation in the sauce contest is optional.
    • New banners have been sent via Slack. Probably will need new t-shirts? Question is asked: Might orders for them be taken? May want to reach out to Darcie Burner’s son for these? He has a printing business. Still looking for a vertical banner, David suggests democraticstuff.com. MAKE SURE TO LOOK FOR THE UNION BUG!
    • Possible discussion of Seattle City Council’s Income Tax proposal at a future membership meeting.
  • Good of the Order:
    • Les asked about possible interest in coffee with Mike McGinn to talk about his Mayoral candidacy.
    • Michael advised the West Seattle Transportation Coalition’s interest in a ST3 Design Workshop on June 22nd at 7 pm to describe and talk through what it will look like when it is complete. Will it be over ground? Underground? Come and make your voice heard! Might be a good springboard to discuss the Center City proposal.
    • Treina is still looking for recipes! Would like them ASAP, may reach out to The Salvadorian Bakery for a recipe or two.
  • 8:01 Adjourned.

Executive Board Meeting Notes 1-18-17

150 150 Carrie Alexander

34th Democrats Executive Board Meeting

1/18/17, Puget Ridge Common House
Meeting Called to Order at 7:00pm by District Chair David Ginsberg.
Welcome from Les Treall on behalf of Puget Ridge

Introductions/Attendees:

Rachel Ostrander
Jacob Holt
Gina Topp
Nick Bohall
Patrick Wicklund
Elisabeth Atwood
Nancy Craver
Stu Yafitz
Karen Richter
Steven Butts
Ted Barker
Pam McCallister
Sue Cummings
Lisa Plymate
Joy Pakuluk
Sean Riley
Kate Riley
Martha Koester
Chris Porter
Treina Aronson

Committee Reports:

  • Nick announced that Email addresses are up and live, and to contact him if there are any questions
  • Gina Topp will fill role as Finance Chair
  • Data and Technology Chair is still vacant
  • Pam McCallister will be the PCO Coordinator for Burien
  • Les brought up the idea of having a retreat for new PCOs, Chair formed an ad-hoc committee to organize this, with Jacob (as Events Chair) will spearhead

Treasurer’s Report:

Gina presented her report on the District’s finances.

  • $7449 in the bank at the end of 2016

Draft Budget Revenues:

  • Membership Dues of $12,000.00 are expected
  • Numbers were higher in 2016 dues to Election/Caucuses
  • Fundraiser ideas and locations discussed

Draft Budget Expenditures:

  • Discussion to increase the budget for GOTV Sample Ballots
  • Discussion to set budget at $500 for Non-Profit Organizations
  • Discussion on the merits of using Square vs NGP
  • Discussion to spend funds on Candidate forums for Burien
  • Discussion to budget $1034.00 for KCDCC
  • Discussion of Outreach budget.  $865 proposed
  • Discussion of Signage Budget. $200 proposed
  • Discussion of PCO Gear Up budget. $100 proposed
  • Discussion of fund raising costs. $8,000 proposed for 2017 Garden Party. Discussion of location, West Seattle Nursery appears to be leading candidate and is popular with the membership
  • There is a remaining outstanding bill of $559.00 for Hall rental for July
  • Discussion of adding a line item of $2000.00 for 3 months of operating costs for carryover into 2018
  • Discussion of adding a line item for campaign contributions, amount to be based on changes to this years budget over last years
  • There are currently 150 paid members

Presentation of Program for February 8th meeting.

  • ACLU
  • Indivisible Washington

Discussion of a meetup.com subscription for the 34th

Nick presented the Web Editor’s report:

  • February District Monthly meeting will be live streamed on Facebook

Sean presented the Inclusion/Diversity report:

  •  6 people signed up at January meeting.
  • Announced Young Storyteller’s event on February 3rd at the Thelma Dewitty Theatre at 4408 Delridge SW, running from 6:30 to 9:30 pm. Free, and a potluck!

Elisabeth presented the Fundraising report:

Meeting set for the weekend

Kate presented the Hospitality report:

Needs to complete transition from Past Chair Mike Heavey

Joy presented the Membership report:

  • Onward and upward! Asked any members who did not have printed name tags to contact her
  • 2 people signed up for the committee at meeting

Jacob presented the Event Planning report:

3 people signed up for the Event Planning committee, they are busily at work organizing the retreat

Treina presented the Volunteer report:

  • 4 members have reached out to her about joining the Volunteer committee
  • Discussed sending a Skills Audit to members
  • Discussion of a “Volunteer Match” to help Dems in other districts

Old Business:  None

New Business:

  • Stu Yafitz presented a resolution regarding reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions Goals for Washington State to be proposed at the February Membership Meeting
  • Les proposed a Phone Tree to ask membership to renew. This would be targeted at past year’s members who haven’t paid yet. Possibly also directed to people who attended the caucuses. Chair is in favor of this idea
  • Chris and Lisa spoke about the Candidates running for State Chair, Jaxon Ravens, and Tina Podlodowski

Good of the Order:

  • Steve brought up changing the Masthead for the District. Asked if members would prefer their phone numbers or email addresses listed. Board expressed a clear preference for email addresses
  • Ted brought up sponsoring a Table at the West Seattle Food Bank auction on May 13th.
  • Lisa asked about organization for the Women’s March, Treina advises that we will have our banner there and to look for it
  • Les is looking forward to the Young Storyteller’s event February 3rd
  • Les also suggested more social events so that the membership can get to know each other better. Would Slack be good for this
  • Nick expressed again his willingness to help set up email accounts

Meeting adjourned at 9pm