October 9, 2019 – Hall at Fauntleroy
6:30 Potluck Social Time
7:00 Call to Order
Pledge of Allegiance was led by Sofia Aragon
- Joe Fitzgibbon was recognized and spoke about referendum 88 and I-1000 as well as I-976.
- Kevin Schilling thanked the 34th for continued support. Merrill Gardens canvas this weekend.
- Sofia Aragon talked about how the democrats came out in the primary.
- Joe McDermott talked about recent legislation coming out of his committee that affects Vashon Wineries. Joe announced GOTV Efforts on the 17th and 20th as well as a campaign event (on 34th website).
The chair recognized visitors, first time guests.
The chair reminded attendees of our code of conduct.
Review and Approval of the Minutes and Agenda
- Approval of the Minutes – The minutes were provided and a motion was made and seconded to approve as submitted. Motion passed unanimously.
- Adoption of the Agenda
- Nick Bonazza asked to allow Cydney Moore to speak about her campaign, (Burien City Council) during the New Business section of the agenda.
- A motion was made to add teh Vashon Parks Levy, with was accidentally left off the agenda.
- A motion and second was made to accept the agenda as amended. The amended agenda was unanimously approved.
Report of Officers and Standing Committees
- Chair’s Report – important to GOTV! Please pick up the new General Election Sample Ballot. Gina attended Pramilla Jayapal’s Impeachment Town Hall and shared her takeaways.
- Membership and Treasurer’s Report – Ben Reilly provided a financial update and announced that we have 303 members now!
- State Committee Report – Ann Martin and Chris Porter attended the state committee meeting in Yakima at the end of September. Vote by proxy was submitted and was not approved. Bylaws changes around constituency caucuses were also vetted. Chris sits on the Code of Conduct Committee and reported on those activities. Chris also sits on the Affirmative Action Committee which is working to engage members of often under-served communities.
- Gina announced that a Caucus Planning Committee will be held on Monday, Oct 14, 6pm at Uptown Delridge.
- PCO Committee Report was provided by Nick Bonazza, chair. PCOs are canvassing in their precincts and in Burien. All members are encouraged to volunteer to GOTV. Sample ballots are available tonight.
- Events Committee Report (Holiday Party Invitation) Carla discussed details of the Holiday Party to be held on December 11 here at the Hall at Fauntleroy. Chris Porter shared the process for nominating someone for our annual awards. Form is online and the deadline is November 19.
7:42 Our Climate Crisis
Alec Connon from 350 Seattle made a presentation about our Climate Crisis.
8:27 New Business
- Endorsement of the Vashon-Maury Hospital District – a motion and second was made to endorse. Members spoke in favor of the endorsement. Members approved the endorsement.
- Endorsement of Vashon Parks Levy – a motion and second was made to endorse. Members spoke in favor of the endorsement. Members approved the endorsement.
- Cydney Moore (Burien City Council candidate) shared information about herself and her opponent and asked for our support in her effort to bring change to Burien.
- The chair recognized Executive Dow Constantine. Dow spoke about I-976 and encouraged an endorsement in opposition of the measure.
- Endorsement in Opposition to Initiative 976 – A second was made to endorse. Members spoke in favor of the endorsement. Members approved the endorsement.
- Endorsement in Support of Referendum 88 – a motion and second – a motion and second was made to endorse. Members spoke in favor of the endorsement. Members approved the endorsement.
- Appointment of PCOs – Nick Bonazza introduced 2 nominees for PCOs in Burien. New PCOs were confirmed.
8:30 Good of the Order
- Dawn Rains encouraged anyone interested to consider participating in Emerge Washington.
8:49 Adjourn to Whiskey West