Meeting called to order at 7:00 by Chair David Ginsberg
7:01 Pledge of Allegiance.
7:02 Recognition of VIPs –
- Mayor Jimmy Matta – Burien
- Councilwoman Krystal Marx – Burien
- Councilman Pedro Olguin – Burien
Representative Eileen Cody cannot attend due to an injury. She sends her regrets.
7:03 Minutes and Agenda (M)oved(S)econded(P)assed.
7:05 Chair’s Report –
- 90 tickets have already been sold for the Garden Party! We will also have a booth in the
- GreenLife section of the West Seattle Summerfest. There are links on the webpage calendar to
- Sign up for volunteer slots. Vashon Strawberry Festival, White Center Parade and West Seattle
- Grand Parade are all coming up.
7:07 Treasurer’s Report –
- Gina reports that the caucus fund is at $15,000.
- The General Fund is currently 12,599.67
- Expenses were 3,908.00
7:09 Moved and seconded that the body endorse Dan Satterberg for King County Prosecutor.
- No other nominations.
- Jimmy Matta spoke for.
- Marcee Stone-Vekich spoke against.
- Chenelle Chase spoke for.
- Marcee Stone Vekich again spoke against.
Mr. Satterberg endorsed overwhelmingly.
7:17 – Main Program – Trump’s Cruel and Unusual Immigration Policy
Speakers (in order) were:
- Larry Matsuda, who was born in an internment camp, spoke powerfully of the impact of family displacement over the generations, and observed that history does not repeat itself, rather, it rhymes.
- Jackie Lloyd-Evans from Nicaragua spoke about the impact of Trump’s policies on
- Immigrant families in the district and outlined some of the challenges that they face,
- namely the language barrier, acculturation, and legal status. Fear of legal expenses and fear of law enforcement play a big role in this as well.
- Mayor Jimmy Matta spoke about the need to Educate, Agitate and Organize.
- Katie Harris spoke on what the West Seattle and White Center neighborhoods were doing in terms of rapid response. She gave a detailed list and explanation of organizations that were active in this area and how they were responding.
A brief Q&A followed.
8:25 – Chair David Ginsberg had to leave early, so Second Vice Chair Michael Taylor-Judd presided over the remainder of the meeting.
8:26 – PCO Chair Brooks Salazar discussed PCO walk lists.
8:28 – Good of the Order – Upcoming Candidate forum on Vashon Island.
8:37 – Adjourned.